Spring has Broken

Spring Break is now in full swing. Yesterday was a working day for me, though, so I invited one of Alyssa's friends to come over. McKenna is a little girl that Alyssa knows from both church and school, and Alyssa has been begging us to have her over to play. When they got here yesterday afternoon, Alyssa ran up and gave her a hug so big she almost knocked her down. I don't know that either Kara or I has ever gotten that big of a reception.

All three girls played great together, and I even called McKenna's mom to ask for a time extension. They played trains and blocks and watched a video, and McKenna scored big time out at the "Find Your Own Fossil Farm." (More on that in a later post).


It was a bear getting the girls down last night. Alyssa managed a nap in the afternoon, and neither one of them is adjusting very quickly to DST. (I almost used my own words for the acronym, but then I remembered that this is a family blog...) Alyssa ended up in my bed not once but twice.

I took the day off today so the girls and I could go out and do some things together. Our first stop was the Bureau of Engraving and Printing's Western Currency Facility, where we saw millions and millions of dollars. It was pretty neat. Alyssa got bored pretty quickly, and kept asking me when we were going to the dinosaur museum. Anna got into it, though.

We got up fairly early, because I thought with it being spring break, the place would be pretty busy. Not so, at least not an hour after opening, which is when we got there. The next tour group was about double the size of ours, so maybe the place got busier as the day went on.

We then went to the Ft. Worth Science Museum, where busy would be a gross understatement. In all the times I have been there, I have never seen even a fraction of the people. There were easily 300 people waiting in the regular line for tickets to the IMax, and another 50 or so in the "Member's Express" line. We waited for about 10 minutes before one of the workers figured out that we only needed the little exhibit stickers, so she went and got us some.

Whew!

There is a new exhibit, with a bunch of things from the "Attic" that haven't been on display for a while. Anna thought it was great. Alyssa was just upset that the bubbles weren't there any more.

Also today, we picked up the new Barbie movie. I haven't seen it yet, but the others have all been surprisingly watchable. The folks in charge put forth a real effort, and it shows.

Anna was lucky to watch it all the way through, as we got home just before a very heavy thunderstorm cell blew over. I was sure the power was going to go out. The sky didn't quite turn green, but it was an unpleasant shade of aqua. That was one teaching moment I let pass - Anna is terrified of tornadoes, and I don't need her freaking out every time the sky goes dark. I hope she does OK this summer...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canoe-Paddling Polynesian Guys

Lyme Disease Awareness: Kara's Story

Guavalicious Contest Rules