The Gamble That Didn't Pay

Back in April, I found myself with an overabundance of delusion. Kara's health was improving miraculously, and the world in general seemed to be a great, optimistic place. So during this period of rose colored vision, I bet my whole wad of Delta Skymiles on a 10-day trip for two to Hawaii.

Well, Kara's health, while making remarkable gains, hasn't improved quite to the point of taking this trip. Even worse, our financial situation is such that there's no way we could take the vacation, even by replacing rental cars and hotel rooms with bus passes and friend's floors. No, this trip is unfortunately not to be.

Finally giving in to reality, I called to cancel the tickets today and found that to get my Skymiles back I will need to pay $100. Ouch and Waaah! I'm going to have to wait a week or two on that. There isn't $100 to spare.

There may never be $100 to spare, but the thought of losing all of those Skymiles still really stings. I'd like to take this trip sometime in the next year or two, and that's not going to happen without Skymiles. I have little hope of earning more miles, as I doubt I'll be doing much flying for work, and our Delta credit card is no more. Those miles are my only hope, and I've gambled them away.

And so here I am, stuck with airline tickets I can't use or return, and not even any beer to cry in.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh, Don. I am so very sorry. I hope you can work something out so you don't lose those miles...
Anonymous said…
This is not a fun situation- BUT, my vote is definitely with paying the fee and keeping those miles! Hey, we'll cover one of your meals while you're here (some of your trip expense was just lessened :)
I feel you bro! Perhaps you should read about my experience. I now have an Alaska Airlines credit card through Bank of America. We use it to do all our spending, even bills where permitted. We live within our budget, and just pay the card balance in full each month. That spending turns into miles, and over time, groceries and car gas have sent us on 4 count 'em 4 different trips!

Good luck, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your eventual (when not if) vacation!

Dustin-
Don said…
That's how we got most of these miles, with our Delta Skymiles card from Amex.

Alas, the card is no more...
Tristi Pinkston said…
I'm sorry, Don. What a disappointment. But, I have to say this -- how wonderful that Kara is doing as well as she is. And someday, that trip will be all yours.

And I'll even babysit.
Liz said…
wait, don, it's been a little while since i've been on the blog. this bites! but get those miles back, dude! We'll cover at least one meal as well! it would do us good to eat a lyme-diseaseless (is that a word?) meal once in a while!
Blogger said…
With RentalCars you can find affordable rental cars at over 49000 locations globally.

Popular posts from this blog

Canoe-Paddling Polynesian Guys

Lyme Disease Awareness: Kara's Story

Guavalicious Contest Rules