When the Party's Over

The camera has been found! Photos below!

I had decided that since the cakes were no good (actually they were quite good, just not all the way baked) and we had a large quantity of chocolate frosting, we would go to the store and buy some graham crackers and spread the frosting on them for the parties.


This idea received three veto votes. I was not going to buy a cake at the store, though. One of my character points (strength or flaw, call it what you will) is that I'm a bit of a food snob, especially when it comes to cakes. You can thank my mom and the cake business she ran from our home for that.

I was willing to consider buying a pie, which the girls thought was an OK idea. Most pies at the store are pretty good, too. Except I can't stand store-bought pumpkin pie, which comes from my being an avid pumpkin gardener (although currently in remission). So, of course, both girls picked pumpkin pie.

A quick look at the label showed a shocking number of ingredients from the banned substances list. One or two I would have bent on, but I could not in good faith feed these pies to my kids.

So I forced through a veto override, and we bought a box of graham crackers.

By the time we left for the parties on Saturday I was braced for a train wreck.

Alyssa and Anna each had three friends make it, which I thought was pretty slim but understandable, considering we were only able to give eight days notice. Andrew's sister came, too, which was great fun.
They each did a craft, and Anna played a couple of games.
Alyssa played at the park next door.

Kara made it down for about 30 minutes of Alyssa's party, which was great.

We had ice cream and graham crackers with frosting, and fruit punch Kara got from the church cannery for food storage the same year Alyssa was born. And for Anna's party we had some pizza, too.

After the dust settled, Anna told me it was the best birthday party she had ever had. This surprised me, because we've had some real winners in the past.

In the end, the train failed to wreck, and they all lived happily ever after.

Comments

Tristi Pinkston said…
It looks like you all had a great time! I think it's attitude that carries things off -- and your girls appreciate everything you did.

Popular posts from this blog

Canoe-Paddling Polynesian Guys

Lyme Disease Awareness: Kara's Story

Guavalicious Contest Rules