Scratching the Itch

One of these days, I'm going to be a pilot. I have a log book, and in it is marked the one hour flying lesson I took last year in Hawaii.

I was deluded enough to think that with this move, I would be able to skim a little of the equity from our house and use it to pay for lessons. But alas, that didn't happen.

I used to do quite a bit of flying as a passenger with Angel Flight, and while it wasn't the same as being a pilot, it was still pretty good.

But since we've moved, I haven't gotten any non-airliner airplane time.

Until today.

Alyssa and I went to Fort Worth Spinks airport today for their open house. They were holding a drawing for several 45 minute discovery flights, and I that was as good of a reason as I needed to go to the airport.




They had quite a few different planes on display. Alyssa enjoyed sitting in the Learjet. The smell of kerosene and leather made me wax nostalgic.



They also had some fun things to give away, like this little model airplane. It doesn't fly, but the control surfaces work. They were also giving away square yo-yos. I'm not sure how that was supposed to work. We passed on those.




I didn't win a discovery flight, but they were also taking people for a quick spin around the pattern. Alyssa said she wanted to go, so I obliged.

It was good to get up and fly. I miss it. But spending a couple of hours at the airport and getting a little bit of flying time helped scratch the itch.


Although, sometimes the itch gets worse after it's been scratched.....

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love flying in general. I wonder if maybe I should have gotten into airplanes instead of printers. The take-off is always so uplifting.

Popular posts from this blog

Canoe-Paddling Polynesian Guys

Lyme Disease Awareness: Kara's Story

Guavalicious Contest Rules