Return to the Cinema

Last night, the girls and I went to see Bridge to Terabithia. This was the first time I've taken the girls to the movie since we saw the last Herbie movie at the dollar theaters last year. Or was it the year before?

We usually opt to wait for the DVD, because Alyssa generally falls asleep halfway through, and Kara can't do the theater anymore. But this was an activity for Anna's book club at school. They read and discussed the book, and then went to the movies together yesterday, and now they'll discuss the differences over lunch next week.

We all enjoyed the movie - even Alyssa made it to the end, although she ended up on my lap halfway through. It has some sad moments, but the emotion comes naturally to this story, and it wasn't drawn out or melodramatic like so many "tear-jerkers" can be. There's nothing I hate more than having to wipe a tear, knowing full well that I've been manipulated by the director. In this story, the tears come honestly.

The girl in the lead, AnnaSophia Robb, is really turning into quite the little actress. She was in several of our favorite movies (Because of Winn-Dixie, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), and it looks like she has quite a few more coming out soon. She's such a cute kid, and really starting to show some talent. I hope she can avoid the trappings that seem to plague so many child stars.

It's another big day with another big to do list. It's supposed to be partly cloudy and 72, but with some pretty good winds. Still, I think I'll try and get at least a couple of the cabinets installed in the garage so I can start using them for storage. My big challenge for the day will be shepherding my little helpers into meaningful tasks, without totally ruining their "one day off."

A little bribery, a few threats, and I think I'll be up to the task.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canoe-Paddling Polynesian Guys

Lyme Disease Awareness: Kara's Story

Guavalicious Contest Rules