Easy Come, Easy Go

I had been selected for a trip halfway around the world. I got an email telling me so.

The email came from my boss's boss, so I knew it was legit. He's too busy running a large development team to send out spam.

But something about this offer didn't quite seem right. I would be going to help out at a trade show in Australia and do some training in Taiwan. However, I'm an engineer who writes printer drivers, and there was no driver development work associated with this trip. Not that I have any problem with trainings or trade shows. I just didn't think they would want me to stop development work for a week and a half to do these other things.

Turns out I was right.

Now, a big trip like this comes as a very mixed blessing. It's hard to be away from home for a week or ten days, and the work that needs to be done doesn't go away. But it is nice to have a break and see new places and do new things.

And the 31 hours of total flight time had a certain appeal, as flying allows me to indulge my ultimate delusion.

But, alas, it wasn't to be. And just as the trip would be a mixed blessing, having the trip canceled is both a disappointment and a relief.

I hope I get another long trip someday, so I can report on the inflatable flight pillow I bought with the rest of my birthday money.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canoe-Paddling Polynesian Guys

Lyme Disease Awareness: Kara's Story

Guavalicious Contest Rules