By Popular Demand - Panipopo!

It's sad that when two people request something on this blog, it counts as a "popular demand."

But anyway.....

Panipopo is a Samoan dish, and is basically sweet rolls and coconut sauce. I stole this recipe from my sister Marri's cookbook. Feel free to replace the bread in this example with your favorite recipe.

(I would have posted a picture, but panipopo are so good, they don't stick around for long...)
2 1/2 c warm water
2 Tbsp yeast
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c oil
2 tsp salt
6+ c flour

Dissolve yeast in water. Add all ingredients except flour. Mix well. Add half of flour. Beat until smooth. Add rest of flour one cup at a time until dough is soft or cleans sides of bowl. Knead for 5 minutes. Let raise for 1 hour or until double. Shape and put in greased pan. Let raise.
Then make the coconut sauce:

Boil:
1 400 ml (13.4 oz) can coconut milk
(Asian section of the grocery store)
3/4 can water

Add:
1/2 c sugar
1 heaping Tbsp cornstarch

Cook until thickened. Pour evenly over rolls, making sure to coat the tops.
Bake 350 for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

With this recipe, we typically get a 9x13 and 9x9, with 12 and 9 rolls each.

Comments

Thanks, Don. I can't wait to try them. I even have coconut milk in my pantry. I keep it on hand to put in smoothies. This looks like another great way to use it.
I can vouch for the panipopo. Don suggested them for a snack for the Activity Day girls at church last year. They were yummy, and I don't even like coconut. The girls loved them! My kids loved them, and my oldest still talks about panipopo. I should make them again. However, I don't have much luck with yeast and I just used the frozen Rhodes rolls with it. Way easy!
Elizabeth said…
Thanks Don, I always have coconut milk on hand for a haupia cake I make. I think we'll have to use some for panipopo!

Betsy
One quick question...What size of can of coconut milk do you use?
Don said…
There's more than one size?

Ours says 13.4 oz (400 ml).
Krista said…
Yay! Thanks, Don!
lyle said…
How can you possibly use the word "sad" in connection with putting the recipe for these little bits of heaven in the hands of your fans?

Thank you thank you thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Canoe-Paddling Polynesian Guys

Lyme Disease Awareness: Kara's Story

Guavalicious Contest Rules