It Could Have Been Worse


The great Bill Cosby has an old routine where he cautions his audience to never say "Things can't get any WORSE," because they can and do. He then follows with several hilarious examples.

So in keeping with this advice, I will start my description of yesterday by saying that it COULD have been worse.

Kara had an appointment with a new doctor yesterday afternoon that she wanted me to attend with her. The appointment was from 2:00-3:00, so I needed someone to meet the girls' buses after school. This part was really no problem, as the girls always beg me to let them spend the afternoon at someone else's house, and our Home Teacher's wife loves to have them over. And they have two little high energy dogs that the girls just love.

So anyway, I expected an hour at the doctor's, where we would get all kinds of new and exciting information that would restore our hope and Kara's health. And then I would take a little bit of time to myself, maybe writing or going to Ikea, which isn't far from the doctor.

What I got, however, was an afternoon with the same enjoyment quotient as a four-hour session in the dentist's chair. Kara was reacting strongly to something, so she was in terrible shape. Also, she was hungry and had left her food at her Dallas-side crash pad. Fortunately there was a Whole Foods in the same complex as the doctor's office, and I went back several times to get her cauliflower - fresh and frozen, while she finished the doctor's paperwork.

We were in the office for nearly four hours, visiting with the doctor for about half of that time. Kara recalled her long, painful story; the doctor ordered enough tests to set us back a Cleveland; we ended the appointment without any renewed sense of hope or encouragement; and I had barely enough time get home and pick up the girls before bed.

But I'm sure it could have been worse.

I actually got myself to bed on time for a full eight-hour night, and Alyssa didn't even wake me up. I think I'll be able to make it through the day on only one caffeinated beverage. And a small one at that.

Comments

Tristi Pinkston said…
There has to be an answer somewhere -- I'm praying that you find it soon.

Meanwhile, the caramel bliss arrived today and it's deeeeelicious! Thank you so much!

Popular posts from this blog

Canoe-Paddling Polynesian Guys

Lyme Disease Awareness: Kara's Story

Guavalicious Contest Rules