Tuesday, August 26, 2008

So Begins 2008-2009

We survived the first day of school (and at this point, at least for Alyssa, the second day). The morning routine started a little later than usual, due to a combination of Kara being here to help and my desire to begin exercising in the morning, which postpones the daily shower by a few hours.

Both girls were up and ready to go. We let them sleep on the bedroll in our room, which they see as a big treat. Actually, they're starting to see it as a God-given right, so we may have to work on that a bit.

As a special back-to-school breakfast treat, we made strawberry muffins Sunday afternoon. Too many strawberries caused them to fall flat, but they taste very good.

Kara and I tag-teamed Alyssa, helping her get dressed (though this year she's doing everything but her shirt by herself), doing her hair, and getting her lunch packed. She was very excited about her bus coming again.

Anna decided to get up at the same time as everyone else, even though her bus comes an hour later this year. This gave her a chance to eat leisurely, play a little Wii and spend quality time with her piggies.

Kara and I got the bikes out and went for a short ride once Alyssa was on the bus. (We did the same thing this morning, working through the "it's been too long since I've been on a bike" pain in a strategic place.)

Then we walked Anna up to the bus stop and waited with her. She's really growing into quite the young lady.

Once the busses had both come and gone, Kara and I walked home, commenting on how we never cried when our kids went to school - not even Kindergarten. Alyssa began getting a few hours of special needs preschool at the local elementary when she was maybe 3, and so her transition to Kindergarten was very gradual.

Anna was such an energetic fireball that we felt nothing but relief when she tore into her Kindergarten class - especially since she was born four days after the public school deadline, and we worked very hard to find a school that would take her based on ability rather than her age.

The day proceeded very calmly. I got my work done. Kara got her work done. Plus she got a nap.

Aside from the notes and forms and handbooks that came home, it could very easily have been the 42nd day of school. In all, rather unremarkable.

You know what? I think I like it that way. It's about time there was a touch of "normal" around here.


Stephanie Humphreys said...

I can't wait for normal around here. Just one more week...

Tristi Pinkston said...

Nap sounds good . . .