Dr. Wheelwright to Lead Seasiders

This is old news by now, but I thought I'd blog about it anyway.

Yesterday, President Hinckley announced that the new president of BYU-Hawaii will be Dr. Stephen C. Wheelwright. He will be replacing President Shumway, who is retiring to become the president of the Tonga Temple.

I was a bit sad to hear about President Shumway's retirement, but I know of his very deep love for the Tongan people, and I know this will be a fantastic move for them. President Shumway will be a great Temple President, and I can't thing of anyone better suited as a Temple Matron than Sister Shumway!


I've known the Shumways for nearly thirty years now(!), and it will be odd to think of Laie without them there.

The little I know about President Wheelwright comes from his bio and the video announcing his appointment. His professional credentials are certainly strong, and h
e seems like a good man. Only time will tell, but I get the feeling he will be wise and humble enough to recognize and work with, rather than against, the unique culture and atmosphere that makes BYU-Hawaii what it is.

I wish both Presidents (and their wives) the very best in their new positions.

Comments

huki said…
Hi Don...I just stumbled across your post. Yeah I miss President Shumway too. However, it's also great working with the new president. Change is never easy, but it's frequently essential for moving forward.

Popular posts from this blog

Canoe-Paddling Polynesian Guys

Lyme Disease Awareness: Kara's Story

Guavalicious Contest Rules