Attack of the Vampire Flies

They're baaaaaaaack.

Warm weather and constant rains have brought back the mosquito - the unofficial state bird of Texas (as well as most of the other 49 states - so says Google).

I've lived with mosquitos nearly all of my life. They were the unofficial state bird of Nebraska, as well as the unofficial state bird of Hawaii. I got bit, I itched, and I dealt with it.

Yesterday, however, I finally retreated. It was the first morning in quite a while where the lawn was dry enough to try and mow. I did about 10 passes, got about a dozen mosquito bites, and killed probably 30 of the little buggers.

I gave up and came inside. I went out in the early afternoon, when it was too hot for mosquitos, and finished the job.

These bites have gotten pretty big - about the size of a pencil eraser. This is a nasty variety we have out at the moment.

Anna got a half-dozen bites waiting for the bus. I think she's allergic to the mosquito bits. The poor kid has welts the size of quarters - or bigger! Today she chose to watch for the bus from the house, then make a mad dash. I don't blame her.

Unfortunately, in a household where scented laundry products are banned and personal care products must undergo a simple yet stringent compatibility test, finding an acceptable and effective insect repellent has not been easy.

But it's obvious that the search must go on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canoe-Paddling Polynesian Guys

Lyme Disease Awareness: Kara's Story

Guavalicious Contest Rules