Sugar Cookies With Colored Frosting

Many of you know that artificial food colors have gotten the boot at our house, thanks to the Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde effect they have on our girls. Not pretty.

The problem is, natural food colors are generally lacking in quality.

Well, the other day I bought some food colors made by India Tree. This purchase was inspired by Alyssa's repeated request for a Blue's Clues birthday cake, and the need to make it actually, well, blue.

India Tree had some colored sugar sprinkles that had some pretty impressive color for being vegetable derivatives, so I decided to give them a shot.

Today, as a test run, we made sugar cookies and frosted them with icing that used our new colors.

As you can see, the blue (red cabbage) was still a little bit purple, but much better than any other natural colors we've tried. I was able to get a very nice magenta out of the red (beet). If we ever need true red, I think I'll add a tiny bit of yellow (curcumin) and a lot more of the red.

The results are delicious. However, I'm not exactly sure what to do with all the frosted cookies now. I'm don't think they'll stack very well in the jar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canoe-Paddling Polynesian Guys

Lyme Disease Awareness: Kara's Story

Guavalicious Contest Rules