Working Day

So it would seem I've been going about this whole getting-the-kids-to-work thing all wrong. What usually happens on the weekend is we tell Anna we're going to work, and she has a fit, and to take the sting out of working all day I tell it will be a good mix of working and playing and we'll get a reward.

As a result, she whines and complains during the work, overdoes the play, and still expects the reward.

Yesterday, I decided to "under promise and over deliver" by telling her it was work all day, maybe a break if she was lucky, no play, no reward, just shape up.

Of course, she had her fit, but then as we launched into the chores an amazing thing happened - she helped, and didn't whine. And when I gave her a break, she was grateful.

And then when we put together a fruit salad for dinner as a reward, she was ecstatic.

And the work that got done? Tons.
  • Messy coat closet replaced with organized game closet.
  • Bathroom super cleaned
  • Living area cleaned
  • Three loads of dishes
  • Plastic fish hung in girl's room
  • Guest room cleaned
  • Nice dinner made, with Anna as assistant Chef
I told her I think every day should be working day!

Comments

Serious Sam said…
I'm jealous. That would almost make the 107 degree temperature on Sunday worth it. Will you come to my house and make my kids help out?

Popular posts from this blog

Canoe-Paddling Polynesian Guys

Lyme Disease Awareness: Kara's Story

Guavalicious Contest Rules