An Enjoyable Run Around


Last month, Anna announced that she wanted to join the Runner's Club at school. This surprised me a bit, because running has never been something she has done before. But she wanted to do it, so who was I to say 'no?'

This Runner's Club meets after school twice a week to prepare for the Kid's 5K run associated with the Cowtown Marathon next month, so we signed her up for the club and the race.

I signed up, too. Not for the club (I have to be responsible and meet Alyssa's bus after school), but for the race. I used to run quite a bit, but I haven't been more than a half-dozen times in the last two years. So I saw this as a good chance to get back on the road. So to speak.

So yesterday I took the girls out to run up and down our street. It's just a little street, and I figured we could just all run at our own pace and get a pretty good workout.

I was mostly right, although things didn't quite happen the way I expected. For one thing, I was very surprised to see just how well Alyssa could run. It's actually more of a speed walk gait, but she can really move.

She started running the same time I did. I settled into my "old fat man" jogging pace, and she very quickly left me behind. What's more, she kept going at that pace for probably 200 feet, and she did that over and over and over during the 18 minutes I ran up and down our little cul-de-sac.

In fact, I think she probably ran four times as much as Anna, who spent more time fiddling with her outfit and her iPod than she did actually running.

I didn't sign Alyssa up for the race, but maybe I should.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canoe-Paddling Polynesian Guys

Lyme Disease Awareness: Kara's Story

Guavalicious Contest Rules