By far, the most popular answer is number 3, which I suppose proves that my skill rests not in lying, but in telling the truth in such a was that nobody believes me. This answer was cited because people didn't believe:
- I got (almost) all A's and A minuses is college (which I did - I was a bit of a nerd that way)
- I wasn't flaky enough to miss a test (ha!)
- missing one test wouldn't pull my grade down to a B (it did)
- I would have been able to make up the test (which I probably could have, but my flaky 19-year old self didn't believe it could be done)
- The Salutatorian traditionally gives a speech, not a prayer (this is true at most schools, but I really gave the prayer - I have witnesses)
The second most popular guess was the story with Danny DeVito. It's true. The loud toy was not a video game or anything like that; just one of those plastic things with colorful lights and buttons. And a really loud speaker. But we only heard it while sitting at the gate - once the plane was in the air and the curtain was drawn, I have no idea what went on with that thing.
The centipede story also got some votes, but it's entirely true. And Janette, that's not a dime in the picture - it's a quarter. Yes, those things are real. Welcome to paradise.
Since these tales are all true, that means the lie is the story about Michael Dorn, a man I've never met. If you happen to run into him at a SciFi Con, don't say "I heard you take the onions off your sandwiches," because I totally made that up.
I really was the Utah Wing Leader for Angel Flight, and Michael Dorn really served on the board of directors. But his time on the board ended before I became Wing Leader. And the sandwiches they fed us at the Planning Day didn't have onions on them - thank goodness.
Now, this story only got one vote, and a weak one at that - "I think I'm changing my answer, unless of course, I was right the first time." C'mon, Elizabeth - you can do better than that.
But weak as it is, Elizabeth did actually give the right answer. So I suppose that makes her the winner! (Unless of course she wants to stick with her first answer.)
Thanks again to everyone who played along.