Alyssa's Extended School Year

Alyssa qualifies for ESY again this year - essentially summer school to ensure her skills don't regress over the break. Last year, this amounted to 30 minutes of speech therapy each week. Meh.

This year, she will be getting 720 minutes a week, covering multiple subjects. 3 hours a day, four days a week. That's a big difference, and very welcome. I think it will really have an impact. And as an added bonus, she'll have a meaningful activity to keep her busy during the summer.

One problem this presents is with our summer travel plans. In my delusional exuberance, I planned a nice three week vacation to include the 4th of July weekend. I thought this would probably mean missing two sessions of speech therapy, and it was a sacrifice I was willing to make.

But I'm not willing to have Alyssa miss a full twenty-four hours of much needed ESY time. So our summer plans have changed.

There is a two week break between the last day of school and the first day of ESY. Guess when we'll be traveling?

We plan to be in Utah the weeks of June 7th and 14th. I'll be working the weekdays (I'm stingy with vacation time that way) but the weekend are currently open. Hopefully someone (Marrianne) can plan a get-together during the time we're there. I can't wait!

Comments

Josi said…
I'm glad you could still carve out the family time--it does get tricky when kids have a full plate, doesn't it? Good luck.

Popular posts from this blog

Canoe-Paddling Polynesian Guys

Lyme Disease Awareness: Kara's Story

Guavalicious Contest Rules