The Search for the Velvet Elvis

Several years ago, I helped develop a software tool as part of my job that would work with printers that used white ink in addition to the other colors. The tool we created would automatically figure out where to put the white ink so that it was only printed under the color data.

One scenario we imagined, but did not implement, was printing an image on black media, treating white as the inverse of black. Like a painting of Elvis on black velvet.

Today I flew to San Jose, and tomorrow I will be working with a printer manufacturer who wants to do the Velvet Elvis. Not necessarily pictures of Elvis, and not really on velvet, but it's basically the same idea.

I spent the second half of last week making the code changes that should allow this to happen. I am quite excited to try it out tomorrow.

With any luck, I'll be able to create and post an image of my own Velvet Elvis creation.

Comments

Autumn said…
You're so smart! My brain doesn't and will never work like yours.

Good luck! I think the idea it pretty neat.

Popular posts from this blog

Canoe-Paddling Polynesian Guys

Lyme Disease Awareness: Kara's Story

Guavalicious Contest Rules