Watch Out, Einstein Brothers!

It's not my intention to turn this into a cooking blog - honest! But lately I've been experimenting in the kitchen, and it's where the excitement in our lives is coming from lately. (That, and the IRS asking for medical expense documentation, but that's not really fun excitement.)

I promise to have some good, non-kitchen posts later this week.

But, in the meantime - bagels!

We've been going through bagels at an alarming rate around here, serving them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, so I thought I'd try my hand at making them myself.

As I began Googling recipes, Kara told me that I needed to make sure and include the words "best" or "incredible" in my search terms, as that turns up superior recipes. Yeah, okay. I opted for "awesome," and came up with the recipe found here.

The trickiest part of making the bagels was getting them round and smooth. The recipe said to roll the dough into a log, and then join the ends together. After doing two bagels like that, I could see this approach wasn't going to work for me, and started just punching holes in the middle of a dough disk.

Bagels are boiled and then baked. They spent only about a minute in the water before moving to the baking sheet.

As you can see, one of the bagels made with the "roll a log and then stick the ends together" tactic failed to keep it together.

They don't look like store-bought bagels - they are very uneven on the outside - but inside they are the same fluffy, doughy goodness we've come to love.

Next time, I may just tray making asiago cheese bagels. Mmm - now that's good stuff.

Comments

Anonymous said…
A man who cooks, Kara is a lucky woman.
Those look great! I've always wanted to try making bagels. What recipe did you use?
Don said…
It was one from a food channel web site.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/homemade-bagels-recipe/index.html

Now I just need to figure out hot to make them pretty.

Popular posts from this blog

Canoe-Paddling Polynesian Guys

Lyme Disease Awareness: Kara's Story

Guavalicious Contest Rules