Bloggy Award and Meme


Last week Kara and I were given this award by the lovely and talented Josi Kilpack, an amazing lady who has quickly become one of our favorite authors. I'm honored to consider Josi both a mentor and a friend, and I was tickled to get this award from her.

This is Josi and I at the 2009 Whitney Awards Gala.

Here's what she said about us:
Don & Kara—They joint blog, so it goes to both of them, but together, and apart, they are such examples of what life really is. They have some trials, big ones that I can’t imagine, and yet if you ever read their blog they have such joy in their lives, in each other, and in their two daughters. AND, despite their family focus and optimism amid trial, they are generous and motivated toward the accomplishment of their own goals and dreams. That is a very rare gift indeed.

Wow - that was great! Thank you, Josi.

This award comes with a meme, which I have completed below. (I'm still thinking of who to pass this award on to - I'm not particularly good at that kind of thing, although I really probably ought to be better. Maybe Kara has some suggestions...)

1. Where is your cell phone?.... In my pocket, where my thigh can press the buttons and disconnect my calls before they ring. I had a holster once, but once it was worn out enough to dump my phone all over town, I got rid of it and haven't been able to find a suitable replacement.

2. Your hair? ...... Grayer and thinner than I ever wanted it to be. But it got cut this week, so it's not too long any more.

3. Your mother? ...... The sweetest woman you would care to meet.

4. Your father?..... Brilliant and funny.

5. Your favorite food? ...... Pizza

6. Your dream last night?.... Has been completely forgotten. Certainly not as interesting as the time I dreamed I was Kermit the Frog and got to host the Muppet Show.

7. Your favorite drink?.... Since this is Texas, I have to answer Dr. Pepper. It's like the law or something.

8. Your dream/goal? .... For my sweeties and I to be well and well off enough to do some traveling - preferably in our own little plane. Vroom!

9. What room are you in? ...... office.

10. Your hobby? .... Mostly writing at the moment, although I pick up my ukulele every once in a while.

11. Your fear? ..... Missing out on the good stuff in life.

12. Where do you want to be in 6 years?... Financially secure and physically healthy.

13. Where were you last night?..... Since Anna went to the circus with a friend, I took Alyssa to her favorite place - The Ice Cream Shop (yes, that's the name). A little old drive in with very low overhead costs, serving great, inexpensive food. She got chocolate chip in a cup; I got a pineapple cone.

14. Something you aren't?..... Confident - although I've made great progress over the last dozen years.

15. Muffins? ..... I really liked the big ol' bran raisin muffins that came from Costco. I don't think they even make that flavor any more.

16. Wish list item? ...... Cirrus SR-22

17. Where did you grow up?...... Laie, HI

18. Last thing you did?...... Started making cookies - then found out the dough needs to refrigerate for an hour. Perfect for a blog break.

19. What are you wearing? ...... Kirkland Signature jeans (we go for the big labels around here) and one of the three non-Hawaiian casual shirts I own.

20. Your TV? ..... 32 inch Sony, with the captioning turned.

21. Your pets? ......... Duchess, Lilly, and Mia - the guinea pig troika. Also, Tucker the tom cat eats and sometimes sleeps in our garage.

22. Your friends? ...... Maintaining friendships during the last decade has been a real challenge. In the last few years, however, I've made a lot of great new friends and caught up with a ton of old ones, mostly through blogs and Facebook.

23. Your life?...... "an aggregate of hope and dispair; joy and pain; failure and (sometimes) success - all held together by a large helping of delusion."

24. Your mood? .... more hopeful than it's been in years.

25. Missing someone? ..... All the Utah and Washington family.

26. Vehicle? ...... Faded red Chrystler mini-van with two missing hubcaps, and a white Ford Ranger with a quarter-million miles. Both more than half-way through their second decade.

27. Something you're not wearing? ...... Shoes

28. Your favorite store? ....... It's not PetSmart, I can tell you that. Or Toys R Us. I'd have to say Ikea.

29. Your favorite color? ...... Purple

30. When was the last time you laughed? ...... A couple of hours ago, during AFV. Love that show!

31. Last time you cried? ..... A couple of weeks ago, looking through pictures of fun times before Kara got sick and the world turned upside down.

32. Your best friend?...... Kara is my best friend. Anna and Alyssa are tied for a close second.

33. One place that I go over and over? ....... This year, it's been Sea World in San Antonio - 4.5 hours away. I'm kind of looking forward to the season passes expiring on January 1.

34. One person who emails me regularly?....... David Farland. Okay, so it's actually a daily email newsletter. Still, it's regular.

35. Favorite place to eat? ....... It's been over a decade since I've been there, but my favorite place to eat is Mangia Pizza in Austin. Yum! I looked them up real quick, just to make sure they're still in business, and found that they've opened a location right across from the apartments where we used to live. It's probably a good thing that wasn't open when we were there - pizza every night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canoe-Paddling Polynesian Guys

Lyme Disease Awareness: Kara's Story

Guavalicious Contest Rules